3. ENCOUNTER OF SFO SPIRITUAL ASSISTANTS
Friars, priests, Sisters
Sampaloc, July 2-4, 1992
References in brackets are to the "Letter to the Assistants", published by the OFM General Assistant, from Rome. Some material has been updated to 2004.
1. Vatican II: Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, Decree on the Apostolate of the Laity, etc.
2. Papal encyclicals relevant to the SFO, e.g., Christifideles 1aici, Familiaris consortio, Redemptoris Missio, Centesimus annus, Tertio Millennio Ineunte.
3. Selected addresses and homilies of Paul VI and John Paul II.
4. Addresses of recent Popes to the Secular Franciscans: e.g., to the SFO General Chapter, 1988. (1989 n.2, pp.3-4).
1. SFO Rule, Ritual, General Constitutions, Statutes of the International Fraternity of the SFO, National Statutes. Regional Statutes.
2. The SFO in the General Constitutions of the four Orders of friars.
3. Letter of Ministers General, "Vocation and Mission of the Franciscan Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World" (1990 nn.1-4).
4. "To Celebrate is to Make Present" (John Vaughn and Benet Fonck) (1981 nn.1-4).
5. Addresses of the Ministers General to the friars about the SFO (e.g., 1984 n.4, p.40-47; 1990 n.l, 11-12).
1. Origins of the Secular Franciscan Order and its influence in the history of the Church.
2. History of the Secular Franciscan Order in the particular country.
3. Present situation of the SFO and Franciscan Youth in the country.
4. Formation plan for the SFO and Franciscan Youth in the country.
5. Role of the SFO in the Church in the country.
1. Role of the spiritual Assistant (1990 n.4, p.2). .
2. Profile of the Assistant (1990 n.4, pp.9-12);
Figure, role and tasks of Assistants below the regional level (1990 n.4, pp.13-16).
3. Psychology of the Assistant (1979 n.l, p.9);
Spiritual assistance in the Rule of 1978 (1979 n.l, p.13);
What the Assistant is not (1979 n.l, p.15).
4. Relation between Assistant and secular leaders (1979 n.l, p.16).
5. Attitude of OFM towards the SFO: "walking together" (1980 n.2, p.10).
6. Assistant's pastoral role: in the Fraternity, in formation and in the Council (1982 n.2, pp.10-11).
7. Qualifications: "suitable and well prepared" (1982 n.2, p.11).
8. Major ideas regarding Spiritual Assistance (1985 n.2, p.16).
9. Problem areas in assistance (1987 n.l, pp.6-7).
10. Assistant's role in forming a secular Fraternity (1987 n.4, pp.13-16).
11. Spiritual Assistant in the Franciscan sources (1988 n.3, p.12-14).
1. In the Code of Canon Law (1984 n.2, 7-19).
2. In the light of Christifideles laici (1990 n.l, pp.13-16).
3. Evangelized: Object of the new evangelization (1992 n.2, 12-15).
4. Evangelizer: In service to the community and Church (1992 n.l, 9-13).
5. Formation of a secular Fraternity of peacemakers (1989 n.l, 9-11).
6. Responsibilities of the Fraternity Council (1985 n.2, 12-15).
7. Character of the Rule (1980 n.2, pp.19-27).
8. Pauline Rule compared to Leonine Rule (1988 n.4, pp.7-11).
9. SFO Rule and Secularity (1987 n.4, 4-10).
10. SFO Rule as a program of conversion (1990 n.2, pp.8-12).